Yesterday (October 29), I published a post about a Temporary Protection Order taken out against an ANC candidate by a neighbor. Today, I am publishing the candidate's complete and unedited reply, as I promised.
Dear Mr. McAuley:
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to assertions that I and a neighbor were acting improperly when we attempted to observe and document the on-going construction of a large outdoor deck and carport which covers 100% of an entire back yard in the 1500 block of T Street. This deck blocks the view of other neighbors, crosses over a century old right-of-way that serves four other dwellings and nine other households, and violates multiple sections of the building code. When completed, this deck will have outdoor speakers and lights sitting atop 4 poles more than 18 feet above the ground.
I and other neighbors have opposed the construction of this deck and we are currently taking legal action to halt its construction or alter its design. Because of our successful efforts, DCRA revoked the previous permit issued for this deck.
The homeowners who have built this deck have filed various complaints against multiple neighbors over the last 12 months, not just me, and are presently involved in litigation with at least four other neighbors over this deck. And they have repeatedly complained to the police about a number of their other neighbors. The police have repeatedly told these homeowners that I and other neighbors have the legal right to be where we were and do what we were doing. The police investigated the numerous complaints and have told the deck owners most recently in writing that "[M]embers of MPD determined that no crime had been committed." The deck owners after learning that the police had investigated their numerous accusations and found no wrong doing on my part or on the part of any of their other neighbors, nevertheless, got upset with the police and went down to the Superior Court and filed their own baseless handwritten accusations against two of their neighbors when the police refused to do so, and even after the police told them there was no wrong doing.
But there’s something even more serious and disturbing I wish to address here. As you know, I am a candidate for ANC Commissioner in ANC2B09. This is a serious election and my campaign message has been received with considerable enthusiasm. And, this has frustrated some of those who support my opponent.
Surely as a reporter, you must have thought it strange that you received court documents 'thrown over the transom' at night, a week before the election from a source that you said wishes to remain "Anonymous" with no police report thrown over the transom with them supporting any of the alleged and fabricated incidents. That is because there is no such police report.
This neighborhood deserves a serious debate on the issues affecting our community, not dirty tricks. The reason I am running for ANC commissioner is that I have seen how frivolously building and zoning code variances are endorsed by our current ANC commissioner that negatively affect the historic and residential character of our neighborhood, and the lives of its people. This is something I hope to change. I also want to do something proactive about our rising crime problem, and our horrible parking situation. And I want to help protect the residents living near commercial establishments from trash, rodents and excessive noise.
These are the things I intend to focus on, not unfounded complaints or mischievous political games.
End text of reply.
See a .pdf file of the original letter here.
Election Day is Tuesday, November 4, but early voting centers in nine neighborhood areas opened on October 25. There is also early voting downtown at Judiciary Square.